Friday, March 13, 2009

Never thank an economist.........

In 2005, I bought the book of Professor Amartya Sen’s “The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity” but never crossed beyond the introduction for no reasons but for his muddled arguments which I read (reading even now) elsewhere. But I have read Mr Ramchandra Guha’s review with interest in the Economic and Political Weekly, October 8-14, 2005. 

Now there is one more review by Lalit Deshpande who writes:

  • “I was quite intrigued by the reactions of several friends of mine to The Argumentative Indian. Many had started reading it but only a few could sustain their interest to the end. Those who, having started it, kept it away .for later reading found it repetitive and often detailing arguments too familiar to be rehearsed by a laurite. While some repetition was unavoidable, given the nature of the book, I should hate to think that the disappointment of my friends was widely shared. 
  • Guha describes Sen as a Bengali cosmopolitan, Indian liberal, left-wing democrat and a broad-minded economist. I wouldn.t be surprised if, armed with Guha.s certification and Sen.s defence of multiple identities, some member of the SP (a flock of birds with saffron feathers), suspending temporarily his participation in the construction of the Temple, rushed to Harvard to put Sen on a head-shrinker.s couch for multiple personality disorder!” 

I have no doubt I will not read Lalit’s 17 page review titled “Thank You, Professor Sen” in the Indian Journal of Human Development, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2007

No comments: