Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Madras Institute of Sciences (MIS)..

RAMACHANDRA GUHA quotes a letter written to Swami Vivekananda by Jamsetji Tata on November 23, 1898. The below is the letter: 

Dear Swami Vivekanand, 

I trust you remember me as a fellow-traveller in your voyage from Japan to Chicago [in 1893]. I very much recall at this moment your views on the growth of the ascetic spirit in India and the duty, not of destroying, but of diverting it into useful channels.

I recall these ideas in connection with my scheme of a Research Institute for India, of which you have doubtless heard or read. It seems to me that no better use can be made of the ascetic spirit than the establishment of monasteries or residential halls for men dominated by this spirit, where they should live with ordinary decency and devote their lives to the cultivation of sciences — natural and humanistic. I am of opinion that if such a crusade in favour of an asceticism of this kind were undertaken by a competent leader, it would greatly help asceticism in science, and the good name of our common country, and I know not who would make a more fitting general of such a campaign [than] Vivekanand. So you think you would care to apply yourself to the Mission of galvanizing into life our ancient traditions in this respect? Perhaps, you had better begin with a fiery pamphlet rousing our people in this matter? I should cheerfully repay all the expenses of publication. 

With kind regards

I am dear Swami

Yours faithfully

Jamsetji N. Tata 

But what Mr Guha says now is “Some of its Directors have been brilliant; others, merely capable.” It is nonsense to say “merely capable”. It seems to me that he has understood human nature and their environment where the person born, lived, his/her family etc. Everything is matter in a person life and works. 

However, now the populist Tamil DMK parties said in its LS election manifesto that “establishing an Indian Institute of science (IISc) in Chennai”. 

Of course, DMK is not a Tata to fund the institution if anything it cost for establishment the money will be theft from people of this state/country. 

No comments: